I’m ramping up to deliver a session on Top Tips (when using) Articulate Storyline, and boy. oh. boy. Have the Articulate Storyline 360 updates in recent months been coming in handy!
#1 – The New Trigger Workflow
Holy (excuse my language) shit (or poop, or caca, or amazeballs)! THIS. IS. A. GAME. CHANGER! I once got a sneak peek of this about a year ago over breakfast, and let me tell you…my eggs were not as exciting as I had hoped for afterward.
It’s smart, it’s intuitive, it’s modern…I can now start to type the action I’m looking for or the occurrence I’m looking for and it narrows down my options. Holy crap! This makes things SO MUCH FASTER in terms of workflow!
In the Triggers Panel, you can also use the linked dropdown (for ANY portion of the trigger programming) to quickly adjust what needs adjusting -swooooon-! I will say that this does call to the front and centre the importance of labeling things on your timeline, but hey – I’ll lecture you about that in another post. Today we’re joyous.
#2 – SLIDE NUMBERS!!!
I recently posted a screencast showing one method of creating a visual progress meter using the new slide number functionality, and let me tell you…you have so many options when it comes to this. The slide number functionality provides you with a bunch of built-in variables:
And, you can use these variables in many ways to achieve your progress meter creation goals! Stay tuned for other options! This is functionality that I consider an entire game changer. It gives you permission to stop manually setting variables on a slide-by-slide basis, and for this we should praise all of the deities simultaneously. I also like that Articulate is providing you with options, because one progress meter is not the same for all.
#3 – The Recover a Corrupt File Feature
If you’ve been working in Storyline for awhile, you probably know that corrupted files are just a reality. Well – one thing that’s nice is that in a recent update, Articulate has provided a feature that allows you to recover a recently corrupted file, or at a minimum notifies you whether there is a temporary file stored elsewhere.
I cannot explain how valuable this is. I have spent a lot of money on hopefully software purchases claiming to recover my lost data…I have spent hours of my life redoing project files…I’m pretty sure that if this feature would have come out 5 years ago, I would have much fewer grey hairs. I would also likely not have bored 75-100 people to tears in my 2016 Articulate Roadshow: Toronto session (I’m sorry to any of you who were in attendance…though, you likely at some point since then have heeded all of the advice I provided), as now they have one less thing to worry about when it comes to backing up their files.